Saturday, December 3, 2011

After 58 Years I Find the Family of John J Earley 11 April 1951-2009

   Merry, you made an OLD soldier and the families of a soldier that Gave It All finally close their wondering of  that happened long ago.
  Tom, that picture of Kelly, Valletta, you and the article on the 24th IDA got me going.
  Bernie, your Morning Reports sure helps
"Thanks You All"

THE LETTER

 Dear Jimmy & Jackie
     How are you boys? I wanted to write you before but boys I haven't been able to do much writing more than I have. I have some spare time today so I'm writing to you and Aunt Ann. We have been moving a lot in the last week so I have been pretty busy the only chance we have to write is daytime as atnight there is a blackout no lights, fires just blackness.
     I know that you both are praying for your Uncle John to come home safely please keep on praying as God will surely listen to your prayers. War is really tough and with God's help it will be over soon. Have your Sister (Nun) at school pray for my buddies (John Kelly, Bill Valletta) and me we allneed your prayers as they mean more to us than anything else.
    You two boys are fortunate that you live in America where there is everything at your disposal home, clothes, food and education. Here in the Far East in Korea boys your age have a completely different life and have never seen anything but poverty starvation and the majority of them are diseased. Well boys you in America have a great deal to be thankful for.
     The weather here is still cold and very windy climbing these rugged mountain is something. It's not like back home flat land or some mountains. Here boys in Korea is one continuous mountain after an other. And all are very high.
      They have no  radios, cars, television sets or any modern convenience here. The country is the same it was 3000 years ago the homes are made of mud and straws a few homes are made of wood.
      Actually there are no cities like back home here there is just small villages scattered here and there.
       I know you boys would like to know about the chinese soldiers. They are tough and fight mostly in the nighttime. Most of their weapons are american made given to them by us years before.
       Well boys I'll close for now hoping you'll pray for me and write me. Give my love to Kathy also to your Mom and Dad
 Love from Uncle John
 Tell Mommy I haven't had (?) mail from home yet!
Give my love to Ganlea! (?)

1.
10/19/2009 5:06PM
Email Via The Korean War Project Remembrance Entries
From: Jim Dolan
Email: jcdubliner@aol.com
Subject: John J. Earley

Mr. Iezzoni,
   I am the great-nephew of John J. Earley, who was from Waterbury, CT.
   Since childhood I was told the stories of my uncle, especially from his sister Kathy, who was my Grandmother, as well as stories from my father. It was a devistating blow to the Dolan family when he was killed in Korea, one that I believe my Grandmother never fully recovered from, however, his short life has served as inspiration to all of us.
   I've often wondered what actually happened that fateful day in Korea and your posting has certainly given us insight.
   I do hope all is well with you. I thank you for your service to our great country and your heroic attempt to save my uncle. May God Bless you and your family.
   Should you have the time, I would love to speak with you again, either by e-mail or telephone.
   Coincidently, I was born April 11, 1968, some 17 years to the day that John Earley died.

Respectfully,
Jim Dolan Southington, CT

2.
 10/20/2009 1:04:12 P.M.

Ciao Jim,
You gave me CHILLS ALL OVER w/ this e-mail.
I must ask if your family  knows the name of John Kelly, from NY City and Ireland, a good friend of John J Early. I met them on the ship going over and became a trio w/ them. I was assigned to G Co and they to E Co. on the 23rd of march 51.
It was our 1st attack, 11 Apr 51, I carried John J Early to the Aid station that day.
I have this address for:
John Kelly
32 Av of the Americas Ste N 338
NY NY 10013-2513
917 237 9558
   I wanted to locate the family of John J Early but I was not able to locate John Kelly (who new the real name of the other "Irishman" I  called "U.S. Kelley").
I remember that day he was wounded well (11 Apr 51), even now.
Ciao for now
Pace e Bene da mario

3.
10/20/09 4:06PM
Mr. Iezzoni,
 Thank you so much for responding!
I related your posting to my father and he told me how he vividly remembers the last time
he saw his uncle, John Earley alive.  He was walking home from school for lunch and saw his uncle
as a passenger in a car being driven to the train station in New Haven after being home for leave.  He recalls his uncle waiving at him.  Perhaps he was waiving goodbye.
 Do you know if there are any morning reports or other documentation available with regards to 11 Apr 1951?  My father and I would be curious to read them.
  I will report back to you with an update on John Kelly, hopefully as soon as tomorrow.
 Thank you again Mr. Iezzoni,
-Jim

4.
   Hi Jim,
   I waited too long to pass on Earley John J's last hrs-please give me time to remember and pass it.
   I was not in his company Co E and don't have E's morning reports but I have - us being assigned to Company E, F, G, H. and scanned it here as attchmnt.
MR Rec of Events for G Co my company for that day Attchd and a photo of E Co. men John Kelly, Tom Thiel, Valletta Bill.

Tom J Thiel of "E" Co. lives in FL and may have Morn. Report of E Co...
I can also give you info on getting your own MR from ST Louis, MO.

 Tom J. Thiel, Taro Leaf Editor
19147 Park Place Blvd
Eustis, Florida 32736
352-357-3943
thetaroleaf@gmail.com

5.Mario,
   Thank you for the attachments.  The paper work and photograph are truly historic.  I will be sending a form to St. Louis in hope of retrieving some of John Earley's Army file.  Also, since I did not make it today, I will try to check the Waterbury address for John Kelly.

6.
Mario,
    I received the packet of information last evening when I arrived home from work that you mailed me .
    Wow.  Simply...wow.
    I can't begin to thank you for all of your life's work. I telephoned my father this morning on my way to the troop and told him of what I read.  He was waiting for me to return home so he, too, could put his hands on your words and work and witness and feel his uncle once more.  As I write I'm sure he's sleeping and having a pleasant connection to his past.
    I went to the now Former St. Andrew's Health Center in Waterbury today and they have no record of a John Kelly ever living there.  They checked computer records as well as hard bound books for me.  Now on to our next address.
 Tis' not the hour but the days events that bring me solace.
 Thank you again Mario.
 I'll talk with you soon.
 God Bless,
  Jim

7.
Mario,
  We're working on things from our end.  My father is ecstatic. As I am.  He's been to the Waterbury Paper to recover the history of John Earley. Certainly, he was your friend.
   We have found remembrances. All thanks to you, Mario.
 Hugs,
 Jim Dolan
 ps- more to come!

8.
Hello Mario,
 Here is our progress so far.
 My father has sifted through his files and found dates and one picture.  We think my aunt has another and, possibly, letters home or, the notification telegram.
The local news paper, the Waterbury Republican, has John Earley's obit and picture.  My father has them ordered.
 I will pass everything along to you as soon as it's available.
 John's family was small.  Since he never married he had no children of his own.  The only family left is my father, his brother and sister, and one cousin as far as I know.
 Another odd coincidence is, as I mentioned before, I was born on April 11, 1968.  He was waked on November 10, 1951.  That is the Marine Corps Birthday and my wedding anniversary.
 Peace Mario,
 Jim

9.
In a message dated 11/14/2009 8:58:18 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, mario8@ptd.net writes:
Ciao Jim,
Please keep me informed of your finds?
For 50+ yrs I had his first and last name confused and thanks to Merry Helm for her help in getting me straight (and, a couple of sleep recalls of my inability to Say EARLY - HEarly and settled calling him Kelley).
Where is he buried?
I don't remember him having a family??
Do you have any photos of him?
Ciao for now Pace e Bene da mario

10.
In a message dated 11/14/2009 10:20:53 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, mario8@ptd.net writes:

Hi Jim,
I can't believe all of this coming to an end. I would like to visit his grave if possible on the 11th of April.
I'm looking forward to any clips or photos but take your time and don't rush anything.
mario

11.
Mario,
Absolutely.  My father and I were discussing how we'd like to meet you in person.
We'll make it happen and the 11th of April would be fitting.
I'll get to work on it.
I'm just in from working a midnight shift so I'm off to bed.
 I'll talk with you soon,
-Jim

12.
Mario!
  I received your booklet this afternoon.  My golden retriever was barking at the front window and I saw that the mail man had stopped by earlier than usual.  Then it struck me peculiar that it wasn't our usual mail man but a fill in, a reserve as the Army would call it.  And it was a female.  She had a package amongst my bills and I greeted her in my driveway. (Maybe she's the one Williams and Fritz were looking for).
  What a surprise!  I could not put the book down.  I think I've memorized each line, each picture, imagined each moment from poignant description.  Thank you so much.
   I happened to be home early today because I had to drop my father off at the airport so he could fly to Florida and visit my mother for a spell.  You see, she's a snow-bird and he can't stop working.  What a pleasure being handed such a piece of history.
  We're looking forward to April 11th and finally meeting you!  We'll work out the logistics after the holiest of holy days-- St. Patrick's.
 Peace,
 Your friend,
-Jim

13.
Mario,
 Wonderful!  We have a graveside service scheduled for 1030 hours on 04-Apr-2010.
 My brother, Father Michael Dolan, will officiate.  He found his notebook!  It must be a sign!
 My father, James J. Dolan, will take all to a Waterbury lunch, which I promise you will love.
 We're all looking forward to your arrival.
 Give me your details and request when you can.
 Peace
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment