Wednesday, November 23, 2011

G Company Going on the Attack


               10 Apr 51 G Company went on the attack. We road marched, then went up a mountain and replaced the unit on the MLR(main line of resistance). Around 2030, we moved out of the foxholes and slowly went downhill along a ridge. Stopping in place about 0100. I dozed off for awhile. We were on the move again at 0300.
               At 0630 we attacked the next hill, reaching our objective a few hours later. The rifle platoon located on the ridge line and the 4th Platoon 60mm mortar setup twenty yards below. I delivered my seven rounds of 60mm ammo and was told to take a guarding position near a big rock where I came under fire from somewhere above on a ridge to the right.
               I quickly moved to a crevice in the rock but part of me was still visible. The sniper kept shooting at me and the bullets ‘zinged’ around me. With each ‘zing’ I shrank deeper into the crevice.
               The gunner, Ellis Coleman, yelled to me, “He’s after you.”
               I said, “Yeah, I know.”
               I figure the sniper must have taken at least fifteen to twenty-five shots at me over an hour’s time. Thank God he missed but they were too close for my first attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment